Saturday, February 7, 2009

Silence is Golden

Everyone has heard the phrase,"Silence is golden" but I have come to despise this phrase to the very core. Now I am not saying that all silence is bad. There can be a lot of depth and growth for a person to take a day and practice the discipline, it may teach that person something about themselves that they do not know about. However,with experience in my relationships with others I have found this to be a frequent stumbling block to achieve growth in the relationship. And I know at times I am not so good at the whole perspective of being quiet for the right reasons. I find at times that silence is used to cover up some feelings that need to be talked about, that need to be addressed. That to me does not seem healthy. The best means for working through this I find is by being honest to one another. Not to be rudely honest, but to share one's feeling about an issue that may have come up and is needed to be taken care of. There are times for silence, times to think about one's opinion and sometimes one's emotions (depending on the intensity of the emotion). But I feel that people need to be more honest with each other. More willing to speak their minds and be somewhat vulnerable at times. Cause when you speak up, out of the silence. Those can be the most edifying and deep times in a relationship.

1 comment:

  1. So very true. I often find that those who say that silence is golden are those who truly do not know the meaning of a deep, life-long relationship.
    Silence may be worth gold, but a life-long committment is worth a trilion of the most valuable & rare jewels that ever existed.

    ReplyDelete